dealing with acne from chemo

Everyone knows about the hair loss, the tiredness, the nausea, but acne is one of the side effects nobody tells you about. None of the medical staff I’ve seen even mentioned it, and my oncologist wasn’t that keen on sending me to a dermatologist. When my face started breaking out worse than it ever had in my life (I’ve had acne issues from 8 years old to the present day, and had been on medication for it at one point, so this is saying a lot), I googled “chemo and acne” and found out this is actually a really common thing. From the chemo itself, and from the steroids that are prescribed during chemo (steroids, durrrr, why didn’t I make that connection?). I know most people would probably think ok, this is temporary, it’s just cosmetic, there are more important things to worry about, but during this time that is taking so much out of my body, that is going to take more,  this is kind of breaking me. I have a hard time looking in the mirror, I don’t want to leave the house, and this cystic acne is painful.

Anyone affected by it knows this is so far from the truth, but all these pink breast cancer awareness campaigns (which are wonderful because they raise awareness, fund research, and better the treatments available) almost glamorize a terrible disease. I’ve actually been told I’m lucky it’s breast cancer and not something else because there is so much research done. In the campaigns, there are all these pictures of beautiful bald women in pink, fighting with a smile on their face, a fist in their air, and what do they all have? Flawless skin. Nobody really wants to see the ugly parts.

To be honest, even portrait series and articles I’ve seen intending to “change the way we think of /view/understand” breast cancer are even more isolating. They show topless thin, beautiful bodies, flawless except for mastectomy scars or reconstruction. I know the struggle these women faced was horrific, and I would never want to diminish that. Ever. Nobody should have to go through this disease. It’s just that the lack of diversity is hard to swallow. I see such beauty coming from an ugly place, and I can’t relate. I’ve struggled with body issues and an eating disorder in the past, so maybe this is coming from there. I just feel like a list of side effects I didn’t know existed. I feel alone. I’m not though.

Wait, this post was about acne, wasn’t it? I’ve been moisturizing, drinking lots of water, reading all the tips I can find online, and I will be dragging my butt to a dermatologist for some acne cream. I ordered a couple products I’ve heard amazing things about and maybe I’ll give the light therapy trend a try. I need all the chemo acne wisdom right now.

Comments

Popular Posts